Thursday, February 5, 2009

Filipino Translations please

Filipino Translations please
January 02, 2002

Hey Mike. Some ‘techie’ words that you want translated have Pilipino equivalent terms. But most of the technological, technical, business, and scientific terms doesn’t have native Pilipino equivalence either because they didn’t exist or wasn’t discovered as a concept by the native Pilipinos, or at one time they existed but weren’t valuable or practical enough and weren’t used, or some of us simply don’t know (or don’t bother to know), and was forgotten from the ancestors- Too bad.

Words with Pilipino equivalent:
Electricity-elektrisidad (< panmundong="" habi="" multimedia="">northwest wind-balas, sabalas
->northwest wind-balaklaot, banaklaot
->southwest wind-satalan

That’s all I can share for now, I’m still searching, researching and learning myself. The best source to know these words is from engineers, scientists, or other Pilipino professionals who graduated and who worked from the Philippines who may know about Pilipino technical and scientific, or related Pilipino professional term equivalents, or just surf the web for such related topics.
Mabuhay ang Pilipino!

Jan 3, 2002

Filipino Translations Please

Thank all for the compliments, and I thank you for your input. I also learned something from you. I’m just here to help, and it’s my duty and honor to serve my fellow kababayan. What I know is little compared to what there is to know about the ‘language’. Over the years, I have gathered Pilipino, either unique, native or useful words that I have encountered along the way. I used to surf the Net on Pilipino web sites, printed-out and picked-up many Pilipino words. The Net is still a valuable resource for useful Pilipino information. But my main readable resources right nowadays, as time allows, are my very own Leo James English “Tagalog-English” 1583-page dictionary, and the “English-Tagalog” 1211-page dictionary (especially requested and imported from Inang Bayan), other Pilipino language dictionaries, plus other notes I’ve written down from other sources. Also, in Mississauga, I borrow Pilipino non-fiction and literature books from the Central Library, Tagalog section of the foreign books area. This section also has some Pilipino books related to studies on the other ethnic and linguistic groups of the Philippines. There’s lot of them. But I especially like to read Virgilio Almario’s works mostly based on Pilipino language and literature criticism and studies, and the Pamantasan ng Pilipinas literature publications. The Pilipino/Tagalog Bible is also a good source to learn some ‘deep’ Pilipino words. Another source, aside from written which is read, is from the spoken which is heard through conversations with real people. But mark that, to know it and be good at it, you have to practice it, speak it, and live it. There’s no other way you can learn, and there’s no excuse.

“Bukod sa ibang kaalaman, at alam na, handa akong makinig sa mga kuro ng ibang kababayn at kapwa Pilipino hinggil sa modernisasyon at pag-uswag ng ating wikang pambansa para masigasig na makibaka nababagay sa hamon ng ngayonang makabagong panahon at kinabukasan bilang mga tagapagtanggol sa katangiang payak Pilipino na ating pamana at mahal nating Inang Bayang Pilipinas bilang pagmahal at paghuwad sa mga dakilang bayani na nagsikap, naghikahos at nagbuwis, ng kanilang mga buhay para lang sa ating kapakanan at sambayanang kalayaan-oh kay sarap, oh uliranin, oh matalinong dalumat, ang maging malaya, masayang kapiling ang mahal na nagbibigay kaluguran at kalubusan sa sintang habambuhay.”

Well, I’m just saying that I’m open to any suggestion for the modernization of the Pilipino national language. You can email me personally with your solutions regarding the matter. I have some ideas already. But that’s another story and another time.

“Ang kaalaman ay nararapat para lang sa may-lagot at dunong sa pagsilbi nito.”
“Knowledge is deserving only for those having responsibility and wisdom of it’s usage.”

No comments:

Post a Comment